Sunday, November 23, 2008

Around the World

There are some days that you are so bored that your mind and body refuse to do anything remotely productive. Today happens to be one such day in my life. I have many such days. And very frequently in fact. The only noteworthy thing I've done today is cook a splendid meal of Vegetarian Biryani to go with Onion Raitha. SLURRP! The meal in itself is partially why I'm feeling this lazy today. I have a project due in two days and God knows how I'm going to finish it at the rate that I'm going! Never Mind! Projects are always there! Killjoys!

But these are the kind of days that I do the most bizarre things really. A couple of weeks ago, I was bogged down with so much work that I simply resigned and decided that I would take a break for an entire day. I remember making a list of all the airports that I've been to. Sheesh! I know! The fun part was that I got my friend to come up with his list, only to realize that I had one more on my list than him. :) Whoever coined the phrase "cheap thrills", was talking about this. :) Today, I'm making another list. Again, travel related. A list of all those cities I want to visit in the next ten years. Fingers Crossed! :) Here it is:

  • Bombay : Well this has been a costly miss. I have a close friend from Bombay and the way that he speaks about his city is enviable! It seems to be a real fun place to be. I want to go to Bombay, not only to visit the places of interest, but also to soak in the city's local flavour that has been the subject of many a book and movie. A local train ride is gonna be a "must-do" on my itinerary! :)
  • Calcutta : I myself cannot believe I haven't visited Calcutta in all these years. Howrah Bridge, the Trams, witnessing our rich colonial heritage. (Of course I've had glimpses of it in Bangalore, but I've heard the effect has lingered on more in Calcutta). Two movies - Parineeta and Hey Ram -They've further enthused me to make a visit here. So, lets see how soon this happens. Assuming that I am able to stand the pungency of mustard oil and fish in one breath. Guess I'll have to make up for it with the Rosogullas and those eclectic sweets.
  • London : Who wouldn't want to see the Big Ben, Thames, Madame Tussauds, Lord's, Wimbledon, London Bridge, Westminster Abbey. More recently, I've read about the London Eye, one of the largest Ferris Wheels in the world. Wow! That would be one helluva ride wouldn't it! Somehow, I always associate London with Lady Diana. Probably because I admire her so much like most of us. Who can forget that touching funeral of hers where her brother made such a moving speech. It brought tears in my eyes, even as an eleven year old. Sigh! London it is!
  • New York : When I see pictures of my friends at Times Square, Wall Street and all those fancy places, I tell myself - Someday, I want to live in NY. But personally, I don't think I would enjoy living in a city that enormous. I tend to think I would feel lonely in NY. But how would I know unless I went there! Atleast once! :)
  • Hong Kong : I have seen pictures of the Hong Kong skyline and its one of the most spectacular. I don't really know too much about the city, but I think Hong Kong will be a typical Asian city - Hot, Busy, Brimming with people and activity. Should be interesting to see how I manage food. Considering that snakes are not exactly my idea of a "delicacy". :P
  • Dubai : Now this is one city I'm NOT going to miss. In fact, unlike the other cities on this list, I want to visit Dubai all by myself - ALONE. Why? Because I've had it with people asking me to hurry up while shopping. So, I'm going to visit Dubai during the shopping festival and SPLURGE! :D Oops, I forgot my Mum reads my blog! I guess I'll take just her along then :)
  • Paris : Honestly, I am not the "Oh Paris is sooo romantic!" type. So, I've thrown in Paris here just for two things - The Eiffel Tower and The Louvre. I want to typically spend atleast three days exploring the Louvre itself. Much like one of those investigative travellers.The Dan Brown Effect indeed. :)
  • Athens : Ah now this is a classic. After reading the Fountainhead, Ayn Rand makes one feel that the Parthenon is the bane of modern architecture since it is so often copied and reproduced. Nevertheless, I will make my decision after seeing it with my own eyes. :) Another reason I want to visit Athens is something from my childhood. My Dad visited Athens as a young bachelor just out of college. At the time, he was naturally impressed by the historical richness of the city. So, many of his "gyaan" sessions were about his experiences in the city. Moreover, Greek guys are hot! :)
BANG and we're back to reality! Now that I've made this long long list, I better start working towards it right?! Which essentially means : "Stop dreaming! Start working so you can "afford" such trips in the first place" :(

Ok ok, its not that bad after all. Just another few years and I'll hopefully be halfway down with my list.
Thus begins one of many nerdy chapters in my life. The darn thing! I don't care. As long as the traveller in me lives on. :)

2 comments:

ScrewLoose said...

amazing post. really got me thinking about my own aspirations. well thats what one blogs for isn't it. keep up the good work chaaaaru saaaar!

Charu said...

Thanks ScrewLoose! I'm glad you liked it and it got you thinking :)

And Thanks for feedback..Always helps!